How to Prepare for MPPSC Prelims
MPPSC Prelims Contains Two Papers:
Both of them contain 100 Questions of 2 marks each, making total marks for Prelims to be 400.There is no Negative Marking.
Paper I - General Studies
Paper II - General Aptitude Paper.
Click here for MPPSC 2012 Prelims Question Papers
Click here for MPPSC 2013 Prelims Question Papers
Analysis of MPPSC 2012 Prelims Paper-I (General Studies)
MPPSC Prelims is a relatively easy and high scoring examination, MPPSC Prelims (2012) cutoff was 306/400(General) which is more than 75% .
The Questions asked are of basic nature without requiring much in-depth knowledge of any of the section.For basics i have suggested NCERT at most of the places which can be downloaded from NCERT website for free in both English and Hindi Medium.
There is scarcity of online resources for General Studies related to Madhya Pradesh.
It would be better if you buy a book containing consolidated topic wise syllabus of MPPSC Prelims General Studies, but here also we have limited choice.
Scroll down for Study Material Links.
Section-Wise Preparation Strategy for MPPSC Prelims:-
FIRST PAPER: GENERAL STUDIES
1. General Science and Environment
Questions on general science and Environment (Environmental Ecology, Biodiversity & Climate
Change) will cover general appreciation and understanding of science including matters of every day
observation and experience as may be expected of a well educated person who has not made a special
study of any particular scientific discipline.
Note : Read Science NCERT's from Class 6th to 9th(Available in Hindi and English, both).
Click here to download NCERT books
2. Current Events of National & International Importance
In current events knowledge of significant National and International level will be tested.
Notes for preparation:
- Current Affairs to be prepared would be from Last Year prelims.
- You can refer any of the Annual current affair yearbook for last year current affairs followed by reading a newspaper daily(Very Essential).
- Also refer to Monthly Current Affairs Magazines which provide a consolidated Info about monthly current events of National & International Importance.
3. History of India and Independent India
In History, questions of general knowledge related to social, economic and political aspects will be
asked. Also, there will be questions on Indian National Movement and Development of Independent
- Read Class 7th, 8th History NCERT book.
- After getting basic idea, for more in-depth knowledge read history from any General Studies Manual or History Special Edition of Monthly Competitive Exam Magazines.
- For Indian National Movement, Read Bipin Chandra available in Hindi also, Adhunik Bharat ka Ithihaas
4. (a) Geography of India
There will be questions of general knowledge relating to Physical, social and economic
geography. It will also include questions on Indian Agriculture and Natural resources.
There will be questions pertaining to demography and census of India.
-Read Geography NCERT of Class 7th-10th for basic understanding.
- After gaining basic knowledge, go for Class 11th & 12th NCERT. This would cover most of the questions related to geography in prelims.
- For latest demographics and census refer the current affairs yearbook.
(b) General Geographical awareness of world.
- Last Year, we had a question asking through which countries does the equator pass and another one asking about which is the City of Canals. So general questions are asked about the Geographical Awareness of the World. You can find this information in any General Knowledge(Not Current Affairs) book.
- I also recommend to get a good idea about World and IndiaMap.
5. Indian Polity and Economy
Political system and constitution of the country, Panchayati Raj, social system, sustainable economic
development, elections, political parties, plans, industrial development, foreign trade and economic
and financial institutions.
-Very Important part : Every year a large number of questions are asked from this section.
- For Political system and constitution of the country, Panchayati Raj, social system, sustainable economic development, elections, political parties, plans : Refer Class 6th,7th,8th,9th Polity NCERT.
- After having basic information, read Indian Polity by M.Lakshmikant available in both English and Hindi(Bharat Ki Rajvyavastha)
-For industrial development, foreign trade and economic and financial institutions : Read Economics Class 10th NCERT for basic knowledge and get the Foreign Trade, economic and financial institutions information from Internet(Wikipedia etc).
Important games and sports tournaments, Awards, personalities and Renowned Sports Institutions of
M.P., India, Asia and World.
-Read Sports part from , both, General Knowledge and Current Affairs books.It will cover general awareness about sports and current events both.
7. Geography, History and Culture of M.P.
There will be questions related to the development of Mountains, rivers, climate, Flora and Fauna,
Minerals transportation in the Geography of Madhya Pradesh . It will also have questions relating to
important dynasties of M.P., Contribution of important dynasties in the Histroy & Culture of Madhya
Pradesh, There will be questions on Tribals, Arts, Architecture, Fine Arts and Historical personalities
Political system, Political parties and elections, Pachyati Raj, Social system and sustainable economic
development of M.P.. This will also include questions on Industry, Plans, Economic programmes,
business, demography and census of M.P.
-Many books are available for MP General Studies part, but they should be complimented by Latest Information from Internet Resources.
You can also refer Study Material posted by me earlier on this blog.
I will post more resources for this section.
Study Material 1
MP Census Imp Data
Click here for Daily Current Affairs of MP.
9. Information and Communication Technology
Questions pertaining to characteristics, uses, and terminologies such as website, online, search
engine, e-mail, video mail, chatting, video conferencing, hacking, cracking, virus and cyber crime.
-This a easy part with limited syllabus, Lots of Online Resources are available for ICT,Search Computer Awareness on Internet, you will get resources for it.
10. Scheduled Caste & Scheduled Tribe (Prevention of Atrocities) 1989 (No.33 of 1989) and the
Protection of Civil Rights Act, 1955 (No. 22 of 1955).
-Last year we had around 8-10 Questions from this section. No need to buy any books for these acts just download the original acts in pdf below and read them.
Click Here to Download Scheduled Caste & Scheduled Tribe (Prevention of Atrocities) Act
Click Here to Download Protection of Civil Rights Act, 1955 Act PDF
11. The Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993.
Click here to Download The Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993 Act PDF
SECOND PAPER : GENERAL APTITUDE TEST1. Comprehension
2. Interpersonal skill including communication skill
3. Logical reasoning and analytical ability
4. Decision making and problem solving
5. General mental ability
6. Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, order of magnitude ect.-Class X level) Data
interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc.-Class X level)
7. Hindi Language Comprehension Skill (Class X level)
- The above sections can be mastered by continuous practice, if you are not from Maths background read Class 7th-9th NCERT to learn the basics and then buy an Aptitude and Logical Reasoning book for practice.
In MPPSC 2013 Prelims, Paper II Aptitude was a bit lengthy and difficult compared to MPPSC 2012 Prelims, this suggests the improving level of this paper. This paper importance increases many fold in case of Paper I (General studies) being easy, it becomes the main deciding factor for selection.
You can refer to General Aptitude book published by Arihant Publications specially for MPPSC
Currently available in Hindi & English Medium both.
Subscribe for latest updates - Click here to Subscribe